Subscribe to our newsletter

Keep informed about new content, competitions and updates on products

I agree to the Conditions of use and Privacy Policy.

6 Easter Dangers

Easter presents a number of dangers that pet parents should be aware of.

6 things you didn't know about Easter treats and your pets

Easter is a time of feasting, family and fun. However it also presents a number of dangers that Pet Parents should be aware of. Read on to learn about common Easter dangers and how to avoid them.

Chocolate

Chocolate

Around Easter time, cases of chocolate (Theobromine) poisoning are increased due to Easter Egg hunts. Cocoa contains Theobromine, which is metabolised far slower in non-primate animals.

Chocolate toxicity occurs when the body becomes overloaded with Theobromine. Usually the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic it is to dogs.

Learn more: watch the video now!

Foil Wrapping

Easter eggs hunts also pose a threat to pets around this time, due to the foil wrapping that are often discarded. Foil can cause choking and can also be a dangerous intestinal obstruction, which may require surgical intervention is performed.

Easter Grass

This is the shredded paper or cellophane often found at the bottom of Easter baskets. Composed of long threads, Easter grass can become anchored at the base of the tongue or stomach, preventing it from passing through the intestines. This can lead to intestinal trauma and may require surgery.

Hot Cross Buns

These may be a treat for us, but can be deadly for dogs. This is because sultanas, grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs even in small amounts. Symptoms typically develop a few hours after consumption and can include vomiting, abdominal pain, kidney failure and death if left untreated.

Lilies

While these flowers make a beautiful bouquet, they are extremely toxic to cats. All parts of the lily are toxic, which means cats who simply groom pollen off their fur can be poisoned. Ingestion can lead to severe kidney damage, resulting in kidney failure within 1-3 days and death within 3-7 days.

Learn more: watch the video now!

Sugar Free Candy

Sometimes being good to yourself can be worse for your pet. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is toxic to dogs. It’s toxic because it is absorbed rapidly in the bloodstream of non-primate animals, resulting in a fast insulin release from the pancreas. This results in hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) within 10-60 minutes of consumption and can progress to seizures, liver failure and death.

Got a pet health question?

If you have a question on anything from parasites to pet health, ask us we don't bite!

Call The Advantage Pet Care Line on 1800 678 368.

Advantage for Dogs

Advantage is the fastest relief from fleas for dogs and not only kills fleas fast, it acts on multiple flea stages to rid infestations too.
Treats
Fleas, Ticks

Travelling with Pets

Your guide to a safe, happy and relaxing holiday.

- ↓ -
Got a pet health question?

If you have a question on anything from parasites to pet health, ask us we don't bite!

Call The Advantage Pet Care Line on 1800 678 368.

Advantage for Dogs

Advantage is the fastest relief from fleas for dogs and not only kills fleas fast, it acts on multiple flea stages to rid infestations too. Treats
Fleas, Ticks

Travelling with Pets

- ↓ -

Your guide to a safe, happy and relaxing holiday.